Catesby Aero Research Facility Get Involved
Catesby Tunnel: Register Your Interest
Stepnell have been appointed to deliver the unique Catesby Tunnel Aerodynamic Testing Facility in Charwelton, near Daventry. Having been mobilised on site since early-2018, we are nearing the end of the initial phase of enabling works and are now preparing to move into the tunnel to deliver this world-leading facility.
The project lies on part of the former Great Central Railway and spans from the A361 in Charwelton, through the old station yard, 800m along the original railway cutting, before entering and utilising Catesby Tunnel itself, which is 2,740m long and 8.0m wide. Originally opened in 1897, the tunnel was used up until 1966, lying dormant ever since.
The entire tunnel will undergo a major transformation and there are a number of design, engineering and construction packages that we are looking to develop and procure to achieve this. As part of the development, we will need to:
– Provide temporary ventilation and lighting within the tunnel during the construction phase
– Carry out masonry repairs and re-pointing to the existing tunnel structure
– Provide a new full-width road, with concrete or asphalt surface, to approximately 2,500m of the tunnel length
– Passively manage the ingress of ground water where it is running through the existing brick structure and prevent it from getting onto the testing track
– Provide impact and crash protection to both sides of the entire running track
– Various bespoke fabricated steel structures for ecological, security and operational purposes
– General civil engineering and groundwork activities
The above list is not exhaustive and if you or your organisation has an innovative design or construction solution that could benefit this scheme and would be interested in being involved with Stepnell on the Catesby Tunnel project, then please submit a brief introduction to your company, what element of work you are interested in and, if suitable, we will be in touch to discuss the opportunity further with you.